You are here: Home » Dog Health » Toxic algae danger to dogs
Toxic algae danger to dogs

Toxic algae danger to dogs

Why blue algae can be very dangerous to your dog?

Poisonous algae at the beach


Before you go to the beach this summer, find out how to keep your dog safe and all you need to know about aglae.
Many times we ignore those many dangers that our dogs may face with. Gradually we discover how something as simple as algae that can be found on beaches, can be very dangerous for our favourite pal.
If you live near the beach (lucky you), you know that dogs enjoy games and races in the sand. There are few place like the beach where the dog can enjoy them in full. Playing on their own or having fun with their doggie friends, our pets release their energy and then sleep happily at home after a day at the beach. Besides they can jump in the sea water to cool off a bit or swim.
But the beach is not a safe place especially if you do not pay attention to important elements that seems to be harmless, but actually they are very dangerous. Yep, I am talking about the algae. Some dogs just ignore the elements that surround them and stick to just playing , but there are dogs that seize every opportunity and do not hesitate to chew, bite and swallow everything that they see. Needless to say that my lovely pinscher Kimcho is exactly this type of puppy. In the case of algae, chewing it may have fatal consequences, hence, this article aims to warn you of the potential threats.

But why algae are poinsonous?

Play with me doggieAlgae are common sea plants, which are expelled from the sea tides. These algae quickly start drying. They can be as wide as a finger to expand 10 times its size.
Dogs that eat algae feel deprived of body moisture, the blood supply is suddenly reduced and there have even been cases in which the algae have literally busted the gut of the pet which is unable to react.
Some time ago I read an article which said that in Scotland there were many dogs that died from eating algae and the owners wouldn’t be able to do anything to save their lives. Symptoms of dogs that suffer from being poisoned with blue aglae are typical to any digestive distress: vomiting, diarrhea, no appetite. The problem is that the process is so fast that when these dogs come for a consultation, unfortunately, it is too late.
Therefore, if you are an owner of a lovely dog and you frequently go to the beach or lakes, please remember this article. It may not have happened, but it never hurts to closely monitor your dog and avoid a problem that can be very serious.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*