Best Dog Dental Chews for Sensitive Stomachs
When it comes to our dogs, we are always on the lookout for the best possible products, whether it is food, special toys or the best dental chews for dogs that money can buy.
Thankfully, finding the best dental chew for your dog won’t be a problem as we’ve rated the top 5 best chews on the market today. We will look at what’s good about them, what’s bad and what the best vet recommended dental dog chews are. Note that these natural dental chews are particularly suitable for canines that suffer from sensitive stomach.
So, sit back, relax and let’s look at the best dental chews and dental sticks for dogs.
Best Natural Dog Dental Chews:
Starting with the best of the best when it comes to reviews, the C.E.T Enzymatic Oral Hygiene Chews are a top, vet recommended dog chew. They are known for working very well to help combat plaque and tartar while being a tasty treat for your dog.
Like most dog dental treats, C.E.T Enzymatic Oral Hygiene Chews have pros and cons.
- High level of protein.This dog treat has one of the highest levels of protein out of all dog chews available. The treat offers a minimum of 75% protein in each chew.
- Great for power chewers. C.E.T Enzymatic Oral Hygiene Chews are excellent for power chewers and often last a long time, which is great for all dogs, regardless of how they chew.
- Abrasive surface. This chew is great for removing tartar and plaque, so your dog will clean his teeth while he is chewing.
Probiotics. These boost the overall health of your dog.
- Excellent source of fibre. Like protein, the chews contain 3.5% fibre, which will aid digestion and is important in your dog’s daily diet.
- Excellent source of moisture. Again, the C.E.T Enzymatic Oral Hygiene Chews have a great moisture level of 16%.
- Can cause stomach upset. While most dog owners haven’t been faced with this, the dual enzyme system can lead to stomach upset in some dogs. If your dog has a sensitive stomach, I would recommend a different chew.
- Too much protein. Although protein is wonderful and a great pro to these dental chews, make sure you limit the number of chews they get in a day. Too much of a good thing can be too much, especially if your dog suffers from kidney problems.
- Big chunks can be swallowed. Like many chews, there is a risk that your dog could swallow large pieces when the chew is almost finished. The best recommendation is to always watch your dog when he is eating dog dental treats.
As you can see, these are one of the best chews you can buy for your dog and they are an affordable, healthy choice. Check out the reviews for yourself, wholeheartedly recommended!
Our second best dental treats for dogs are Whimzees. These are a good choice, because they are considered a natural chew with limited ingredients. My dog, Kimcho, personally liked them very much at first They are a bit pricey I’d say and the package smells weird once you open it, but the brand is of high quality.
This makes it perfect for dogs with sensitive stomachs as well as great for the average pup. In addition, the treats are well-balanced, so your dog won’t be getting a lot of extra fat and calories with each chew. Again I shall admit that these are Kimcho’s (my lovely Pinscher) favorites. The bad thing is that as soon as I open the pack, they disappear! It’s all personal choice in the end of the day and depends on your dog’s taste and needs.
They can be a bit on the pricey side but they are a cute chew that is great for a range of dog breeds from 5lbs and up. Whimzees are not recommended for dogs smaller than 5lbs. Like other chews, they help control bad breath, plaque and tartar.
- Gluten and Grain free. This is a big bonus as it doesn’t have a lot of fillers which lead to stomach upset.
- Natural and free of artificial colors. Avoiding artificial coloring helps prevents a number of health problems that have been linked to these chemicals.
- Perfect for dogs with sensitive stomachs. As mentioned already, the limited 6 ingredients make it an excellent choice for dogs who suffer from stomach and digestion problems.
- Chewed quickly. If you are looking for a long-lasting dental dog chew, then you should choose a different one. Depending on the dog, they don’t last more than one chew session.
- Soft. Although they aren’t completely soft, they are a softer chew that may not reach all the tight spots where food and debris can hide in your dog’s mouth.
Even with the cons, this is one of the best healthy dog chews and one I would recommend for any dog who has a sensitive stomach.
Another excellent dental dog chew is the N-Bone Get Naked, which is full of excellent health benefits all while your dog cleans his teeth. Like all the chews we’ve listed, N-Bone is great at removing plaque and tartar and helps combat bad breath.
When it comes to other pros for this dental dog chew, there are several, including:
- Designed for dogs with sensitive stomachs. The treat is full of prebiotics, which will help the digestive system stay healthy. In addition, prebiotics help promote the growth of good bacteria, which will further improve digestion.
- Free of fillers. Fillers are unnecessary ingredients that can be detrimental to your dog’s health. N-Bone is free of wheat, corn and soy.
- Durable for chewers. Like many of our top dental dog sticks and chews, N-Bone is durable and can stand up to heavy, power chewers. They last a long time and really hold up well.
Now that we know some of the pros, let’s look at the cons.
- Expensive. Although the price isn’t too bad, the packages are quite small and only come with 6 chews or dental dog sticks per package.
- Has a strong odor. Most owners don’t notice the smell, but the odor has been known to turn off many dogs. The smell doesn’t go away with chewing so the longer the chew lasts, the more likely you will notice the smell.
If you have a dog that suffers from digestive problems, I recommend N-Bone. Being gluten free and full of prebiotics, the chew is perfect at keeping his stomach happy and healthy.
Although Greenies are often at the top of the pack when it comes to an excellent dental dog chew, some issues with swallowing them whole or in large chunks moved it down slightly in our list.
However, if owners are watchful with their dogs, Greenies are perfect for canines of all sizes.
Greenies are perfect for canines of all sizes.
The treat has several health benefits including tackling bad breath, tartar and plaque, it has been proven to help with bone and teeth strengthening due to it being full of calcium, phosphorus, choline and lecithin. Other pros to Greenies are:
- Excellent nutritional value. Greenies are 26 kilocalories for each one and contain lots of minerals and vitamins. In addition, they have an excellent ratio of 30% protein to 7% fat. This helps boost your dog’s health while he is cleaning his teeth.
- All-natural ingredients. With them being all natural and using soluble ingredients, Greenies are very easy for dogs to digest, which is perfect for dogs with sensitive stomachs.
- Appealing to dogs. Although some of our other treats are not always appealing to dogs, Greenies are usually very appealing to every dog.
Like every other treat, Greenies do have some cons, including:
- Can be expensive. While Greenies are not overly expensive, they are a treat that vets recommend giving as daily dental care to help keep teeth clean and healthy. This can add up with expense.
- Made with a known allergen. Greenies are made with wheat, which can cause severe allergies in dogs and are not always best for dogs with sensitive stomachs. They do have wheat free formulas which are excellent for dogs with allergies.
If you are looking for a dental dog chew that has the backing of the Veterinarian Oral Health Council, then this is the chew for you and your dog.
Our final dog dental treat is one that most people don’t think of often. Pawstruck Natural Cow Hooves are all natural and that means they are free of fillers, preservatives and artificial colors. In fact, the natural cow hooves are exactly what it sounds like, a cow hoof. Being a vegetarian, I don’t like them that much to be honest…But it’s a personal taste
If you are looking for dog dental treats, this may not be for you as they don’t freshen breath, however, they exercise the jaw and help remove debris from the teeth, which keeps those canines pearly white.
Now that we know what they are, let’s look at the pros and cons of these healthy dog chews.
- All natural. Since they are only cow hooves, the Pawstruck Natural Cow Hooves are 100% natural. In addition, the hooves come from free range cattle that are grass fed.
- FDA and USDA approved. This is a big plus when purchasing an animal by-product. Owners can feel confident that their pup is getting his dental chew from factories that are clean, and safe.
- Great for long chewers. As with several other chews on our list, these dog chews are great for your heavy chewers. In addition, they last longer than most other chews on the market.
- Can be purchased as filled cow hooves. For a dog that wants a little treat in addition to a great dental dog chew, you can purchase the Pawstruck Natural Cow Hooves filled with different things such as peanut butter.
- Can break apart. Although it is rare, they can break apart occasionally, which could create a choking risk for your dog. Never give these to your dog when they are not supervised.
- Strong odor. Finally, because they are not chemically treated, the cow hooves can have a very strong odor, especially after being chewed for a while.
While there are several cons, they are worth investing in as one of the best dental treats for dogs as they are indeed of natural origin.
And those are the top 5 best dental treats for dogs. I would recommend mixing them up but, in the end, your dog will be the final deciding factor on which one you choose’¦after all’¦our dogs often have their favorites. However, if you didn’t see one that appealed to you or your favorite canine, be sure to check on the Veterinarian Oral Health Council for a complete list of vet recommended dental dog chews they recommend.
Still unsure about healthy dog treats? Check out my guide to best natural & healthy treats!