Natural Dog Jerky Treats
By DogLovely Team
You may love jerky and often make it for yourself, but do you know that your dog can become a fan of chewy jerky too? Well, you may ask, is dog jerky treats good for dogs? Let’s find out whether it’s safe, how you can prepare homemade dog jerky at home + review some of the top natural products.
It depends on which Jerky teat you are giving to your pup. Jerky explicitly made for humans contains various spices, and you must not feed it to your four-legged companion.
Is jerky safe for dogs?
However, jerky made from quality meat and ingredients which are healthy for canines is great. Dog jerky is highly recommendable for the pups that need a high source of nutrients, especially protein.
You can make some delicious jerky treats for your dog, or you can purchase one from the market. But make sure to use the ingredients which are good for your canine’s health. Moreover, buy only those products that contain all-natural ingredients. Those jerky products are best that contain limited ingredients.
We have reviewed some of the best jerky treats for your dog. Here you can learn about some amazing products, and you can make homemade jerky for your pet as well with the help of recipes mentioned in the blog.
Is Jerky Good and Safe for Dogs?
Natural dog jerky treats are getting popular among pup owners. If the jerky treat contains quality meat, it can be surprisingly healthy for your dog than many other food products and treats. Find below some key benefits of jerky treats.
Benefits of Dog Jerky Treats
- The dehydration involved in the making of the treats preserves vitamins, and other temperature-sensitive nutrients, such as proteins and probiotics. This method is better than cooking, baking, and frying. This is why premium jerky is a high source of vitamins and nutrients.
- Dehydrated meat is always in its best position to provide a high source of protein. Jerky can hold 85% of the total protein content present in the food.
- Jerky made from a single ingredient, such as made from turkey or chicken breast, is exceptionally lean. Therefore, it makes jerky perfect for pups on a diet. Soft chicken jerkies are highly recommendable for dogs on a diet.
- Jerky is chewy and tough because of the low water content in it. When pups eat dehydrated meat, it removes the plaque and tatar build-up, which helps in supporting the dental hygiene of your dog.
- Jerky is also perfect for canines on a raw diet because its entire composition occurs from the meat.
Best Natural Dog Jerky Treats
1. All Natural Dog Treats
This product is a chicken jerky for dogs made in the USA, made from 100% natural chicken breast. Your little furry friend will love this chewy jerky treat. It has a perfect texture, and unlike other treats in the market, this treat is not too hard to gnaw.
This jerky treat will help your dog to maintain good oral health by cleaning all the plaque around the gums. The delicious taste of this product will make it your dog’s favorite treat. As the name suggests, All Natural Dog Treats are made from only natural ingredients and do not contain any artificial filler, colors, and element. The package of the product keeps it fresh for a longer time. Check Price
- Chewy and don’t have a hard consistency
- Made from one ingredient, chicken
- Don’t contain any artificial ingredients
- Chicken is not one of the favorite ingredients of some pups
- Some dogs don’t like its smell
2. Full Moon All Natural
Full Moon All Natural has a composition of five simple ingredients, with the main ingredient, natural chicken slices. The company uses chicken raised on their farms, which makes this product highly considerable and safe for pups. This human grade dog jerky is also USDA-certified.
The process of making it involves the cooking of jerky in the oven to make it rich, healthy, and tasty. The products contain the wholesome grain-free recipes, which means they do not contain any fillers like wheat, corn, glycerin, or soy. Check Price on Amazon
- Have tasty and delicious flavors
- Free from preservatives, colors, and flavors
- Don’t contain corn, wheat, and soy
- Some dogs may face difficulty in chewing this jerky
- It contains more than one ingredient
3. Full Moon All-Natural Chicken
This chicken jerky for dogs made in the USA is another great food product from Full Moon All Natural. It contains limited ingredients which are vinegar, dried cane molasses, and rosemary extract, with the main flavor of the chicken. These human grade pup treats are made from the farm-raised chickens in the USA.
Your dog can get proteins and prebiotics from this product, which helps them grow healthier. The best thing about this jerky treat is that it doesn’t contain any harmful and unhealthy content. It is also free from fillers like wheat, corn, and glycerin. Check Price
- Perfect for your dog’s need for proteins
- All-natural and healthy ingredients
- Don’t contain fillers like corn
- Some dogs may not like the smell of rosemary
- It has a slightly hard texture because of which some dogs face difficulty in eating
Homemade Jerky Treats Recipes
- Olive oil
- 1 pound chicken breast piece
- Preheat your oven to 250 degrees.
- Take a wire rack and grease it with olive oil (you can substitute with coconut oil). Place this rack on the baking sheet. This will give space for air circulation when you place chicken on the rack. Set it aside.
- Cut down the visible fats from the chicken.
- Cut slices of chicken 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick.
- Toss the chicken slices on the rack. Put it in the oven for 2 hours. Check it after one hour, and then after half an hour (sometimes it cooks early; you can adjust the time after your first experience).
- Flip the slices after 2 hours. Let it bake for 40 minutes until it gets crispy.
- Take it out when it gets ready and let it cool before feeding it to your pup.
Things to Note
- If you want to enhance the flavor, sprinkle a small amount of spices that your dog can eat. Sprinkle them all over the chicken before putting it into the oven. You can use ground turmeric and ginger with a pinch of black pepper.
- Since this jerky doesn’t contain any preservatives, this is why it is best to keep them in an airtight container. You can refrigerate it for around two weeks.
Chicken and Peanut Butter jerky
- 1 pound skinless and boneless chicken breasts
- 1/4 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- Preheat your oven to 170 degrees.
- Trim down any fats and left bones from the chicken pieces.
- Take a small bowl and put soy sauce and peanut butter in it to create a marinade for the chicken.
- Stir the ingredients and add a few drops of water to make a smooth paste.
- Now cover the chicken with the mixture and place it in the freezer for one hour. Frozen chicken makes it easy for you to slice them.
- Take out chicken from the freezer and cut in thin slices.
- Grease the baking tray and toss the chicken slices on it.
- Put the tray in the oven for 2 hours.
- Once it gets slightly brown, take it out. Let it cool before giving to your furry fellow.
Things to Note
- Put these soft chicken jerkies in the airtight container. You can use these treats for up to 30 days. It is perfect for your pup because it is low in fat and sodium, as well as high in protein.
- Chicken jerky is healthy for your pup. Try to keep it chewy without making it too dry. To make chewier jerky, cut down the chicken with the grain.
Jerky is the perfect treat for your dog. It is healthy and tasty, as well as improves the health of your little furry companion. Jerkies are a high source of nutrients because of their way of making. Unlike other types of dog treats, they are not cooked, fried, and baked for long hours.
Therefore, jerky contains vitamins, proteins, prebiotics, and other elements at a higher level.If you love to cook for your pup, then you can try the recipes of soft chicken jerkies mentioned above. Your little baby will surely love it. You can also purchase any jerky treats from the market. There are various products available in stores, but don’t just pick the reachable one.
Before purchasing, go through the ingredients list and make sure that it doesn’t contain any harmful ingredients. Moreover, the product should have that meat which your dog likes to eat.