Single-Ingredient Healthy Dog Treats
By DogLovely Team
When you have a dog with allergies or a sensitive stomach, it can seem like every treat you use just aggravates their condition. A lot of dog treats contain unnecessary ingredients and flavorings that can trigger a reaction in dogs with food sensitivities, which results in one unhappy pup!
Single-ingredient dog treats, on the other hand, are much less likely to irritate your dog’s allergies or digestive system. There are no additional flavors, fillers, or other foods your dog might be allergic to as they contain just one ingredient.
Why Natural Single-Ingredient Dog Chews?
Food allergies or digestive issues are quite common in dogs, but a lot of owners find it difficult to pinpoint exactly what food their pooch is sensitive to. Most commercial dog treats contain fillers, artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives that can irritate pooches with these conditions further.
When dogs have food allergies or a sensitive stomach, they can exhibit a number of symptoms that obviously aren’t very nice. These include diarrhea, vomiting, bloating, and lethargy.
Single-ingredient dog treats are beneficial as they’re less likely to trigger a reaction in dogs with allergies because they don’t use any additives or unnecessary foods. They’re also a lot healthier as they go through minimal processing (due to there being just one ingredient!). This means a lot of nutrients, vitamins, minerals, and trace elements are kept intact.
If your dog follows a specialized diet (like grain-free, low-fat, low-sodium), single-ingredient dog treats are your best bet as they’re completely natural. They’re also ideal if your pooch suffers from digestive issues like irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
Single-Ingredient Dog Chews & Treats: Reviews
1.Wholesome Pride Sweet Potato Mini Bites
Containing just sweet potatoes, Wholesome Pride’s dog treats are a natural but tasty snack for your pooch. They’re sourced and made in the USA and contain no artificial ingredients or preservatives.
These treats are minimally processed and contain just one calorie per bite, so they’re perfect dog training single-ingredient treats that you can feed frequently. You can offer these chews to dogs of all ages and sizes, including puppies.
These treat contain only 1 calorie per bite!
The only downside of these chews is their hard and crunchy texture, which some pups might find off-putting. Rating: 3.7 out of 5, 93 ratings. Check Price on Amazon
- Sourced and made in the USA
- Contains 1 calorie per treat
- Minimally processed
- Hard and crunchy texture
2. PureBites Cheddar Cheese Freeze-Dried Treats
Made from 100% natural cheddar cheese, PureBites treats are freeze-dried raw to lock in flavor, freshness, and texture. This not only helps the chews retain nutrients, but it also makes them appetizing to your dog.
As these treats only use one ingredient, they’re suitable for pooches that are diabetic, overweight, or those with allergies and gastrointestinal disorders. The chews are sourced and made in the USA, too!
However, PureBites treats might not be the best training chews as they can be a bit difficult to break apart. Additionally, if your dog is a finicky eater, then they might be reluctant to eat these chews due to their strong taste. Rating: 4.5 out of 5, 315 ratings. Check Price on Amazon
- Made and sourced in the USA
- Freeze-dried raw to lock in nutrients
- 100% natural
- Hard texture
- Possible strong taste
3. Dr. Harvey’s Coconut Smiles
If you’re looking for natural dog treats that are high in protein, carbohydrates, and fiber, Dr.Harvey’s coconut chews are a fantastic choice. They’re made from 100% organic dehydrated coconut that helps build muscles, increase energy, and support digestion.
The chews contain no artificial dyes, preservatives, by-products, fillers, salt, or sugar, making them very advantageous for your dog’s health. Due to the chewy texture of the treats, they’re a good alternative to rawhide or molded chews.
Unfortunately, these chews can take a while for some pooches to digest, especially if given in large amounts. The taste of the chews can also be a little bland. Rating:4.1 out of 5. Check Price on Amazon
- Helps build muscle and boost energy levels
- Supports digestion
- High in protein, carbs, and fiber
- Can take a while for some dogs to digest
- Possible lack of flavor
4. The Honest Kitchen Wishes: Natural Human Grade Dehydrated Fish Filet
Honest Kitchen’s chews are made from wild-caught haddock skin, making them high in protein but low in calories. The treats are packed omega-3, which is beneficial for your pooch’s skin and coat.
If your dog requires a high-protein or low-calorie diet, these fish chews are an ideal choice. However, the treats can have quite a strong odor, which some dogs might find unappetizing. Rating: 4.4 out of 5, 91 ratings. Check Price
- Low in calories
- Loaded with omega-3
- High in protein
- Strong odor
Homemade Single-Ingredient Dog Treats
If you feel like making your own homemade single-ingredient dog treats, here are a few recipe ideas to get you started. You can be creative with these recipes and swap out ingredients to make even more delicious and healthy snacks for your pup.
Low-Fat Meat (any of your choice)
- Preheat your oven to 167 Â°F
- Cut the meat into small bites, but bear in mind that they will shrink in size during the cooking process.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and spread out the meat pieces. Make sure they don’t overlap.
- Put the tray in the oven for 60 minutes. After this time, lower the temperature of your oven to 140 Â°F and let the meat dry for 8 hours.
- Remove the treats from the oven and let them cool down.
- Store the jerky bites in an airtight container when they are cooled down and place them in the refrigerator.
- Seedless Watermelon
- Cut the watermelon into thin strips, but bear in mind that they will shrink in size as they dehydrate.
- Place the watermelon strips into your dehydrator.
- Dehydrate the watermelon strips for around 3 hours or until they are completely dried out. You could use an oven for this process, but you’ll need to put your oven on a low temperature for up to 18 hours.
- Put the watermelon jerky in an airtight container and store them in the refrigerator for a few days.
Dried Sweet Potatoes
Sweet Potatoes (or any vegetable of your choice)
- Preheat your oven to 250 Â°F.
- Wash the sweet potatoes under running water and pat them dry.
- Slice the sweet potatoes into thin pieces/discs around Â¼ inch thick.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and place the sweet potatoes on it. Make sure they aren’t overlapping.
- Place the sweet potatoes in the oven and bake them for 3 hours. Turn the potatoes halfway through the baking time.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven and let them cool completely.
Single-ingredient dog treats are extremely advantageous for your pooch as they don’t contain any artificial additives, flavors, preservatives, or fillers. This makes them a completely healthy and natural snack for your pup.
If your dog has food allergies or a sensitive stomach, single-ingredient dog treats are definitely your best choice as they’re less likely to trigger symptoms or cause an adverse reaction. Whether you’re looking for commercial or homemade dog chews that contain just one ingredient, any one of the treats above are worth giving a try!